Friday, December 18, 2009

December Melancholy

A green tree has been carried into the house and now sits in the front room, surrounded by boxes. I dimly recollect that something similar occured last year, but my mind is clouded by the presence of the young one. I can no longer refer to her as the small one, as she is quite large and appears even larger because of her long fur. She has usurped my place in the household; I have heard mistress comment favorably upon the mane and pantaloons that Bobo now displays. Of course, such adornments are quite superficial, and give Bobo a surface attractiveness only.


Although her appearance may be attractive, at least to humans, her behavior is most certainly unattractive. The young one waits for me at the door when I return from my constitutional out of doors, then pounces the minute I begin to cross the threshold. She then leaps upon my back as I attempt to make my way to the feeding area. And while I eat, she tweaks my ears in her effort to move me from my dish.



If it were not so cold without, I would seek new lodgings, as this has become intolerable. However, spring must come once again, and I will reevaluate my position at that time. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy the refreshing smell of the tree in the front room and the warmth of my hiding place behind the desk in the chamber occupied by mistress and adult male.




This is no life for a noble beast such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Powered by Blogger